ICT products Thetacare AFP-50 and Thetacare AFP-33 are DEA-free foaming agents for use in alcohol based hand sanitizer formulations. Thetacare AFP-50 is recommended for use in ethanol based hand sanitizer and Thetacare AFP-33 is recommended for IPA based hand sanitizer. A thick layer of stable and fast-drying foam is produced by these products which leaves the skin with a soft, clean, refreshing, and non-sticky feel. These products are optimized for foaming alcohol solutions from both pressurized and non-pressurized dispensers. They may not be aerosolized or atomized. Thetacare AFP-50 and Thetacare AFP-33 are designated for use as a TSCA Exempt Cosmetic Ingredient only.
There are several important factors to consider when developing your foamable formulation of alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- % Alcohol Content of your hand sanitizer formulation
- The higher the % alcohol content, the more foaming agent is required
- In general, for % alcohol content of 60-70%, use 4-8% of the Thetacare AFP-50 or Thetacare AFP-33
- However, if other ingredients are added to the formulation, that can impact the quantity of foaming agent required for adequate foaming and formulation stability
- Other Ingredients - these can impact the foamability and/or stability
- Do Not add alkyl foam boosting agents to your formulation, as they tend to destabilize the formulation and reduce foaming potential
- Stabilizing agents actually tend to destabilize the formulation and reduce foaming potential
- Order of Addition (this is critical for a stable formulation)
- Foaming agent (Thetacare AFP-50 or Thetacare AFP-33)
- Fragrance - evaluate impact on foamability and stability
- Emollients - evaluate impact on foamability and stability
- Sufficient Agitation should be provided with each add
- Pre-check your Formulation for Foamability and Stability
- Check stability & foaming of the water + alcohol
- Check stability & foaming of any additional ingredients one at a time in the water + alcohol
- Then, check stability & foaming for the complete formulation
For More Information or Samples, Contact ICT at email@example.com or by calling 770-607-9340.
Subscribe to our RSS Blog Feed. Add https://ictchemicals.com/blog/rss to your RSS reader.
- Foaming agent for personal care cleansers and conditioners
- Cosmetic preparations utilizing alcohols or aliphatic polar solvent carriers